Sunday, December 7, 2014

Carpe Diem by Autumn Cornwell

 

http://smithsonianapa.org/bookdragon/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2011/05/Carpe-Diem.jpgBasics

Title: Carpe Diem
Author: Autumn Cornwell
Release date: May 26th 2009
Publisher: Square Fish
ISBN: 9780312561291
Number of pages: 368
Genre: Young Adult
What's special? It's one of my favourite books!

Summary

Vassar Spore is 16 years old and the only child of over-achieving parents.
She wants to be the best of her senior class at the Seattle Academy for Academic Excellence. Then she's going to attend her namesake Vassar College, get a PhD and win the Publizer. Everything in her life is planned out and calculated to achieve the best of the best.
Until one day her artistic grandmother, kinda like the black sheep of the family, sends her a plane ticket to Malaysia to visit her there and to explore Laos and Cambodia.
That so does not fit into Vassar's plans for the summer vacation.
She has already planned to attend a lot of AP and AAP classes to improve her academics.
But then Grandma Gerd threatens to reveal the 'Big Secret' to Vassar and her parents suddenly give in and almost force Vassar to go.
Vassar is curious about the secret but her parents are determined not to let Vassar find out the truth.
She has no other choice than to let go of her goals and fly around the world to see her grandmother for the first time.
So she goes on the trip – with over 10 suitcases in total.
But when she lands in Singapore, Vassar is shocked.
Her grandmother is a free spirit, live-in-the-moment kind of person and very, very eccentric. And Vassar...not.
This is not only a story of a grandmother and her granddaughter getting to know each other but also about the cognition of what's really important in life.

My opinion

I, personally, just love the book! It makes me happy, makes me laugh out really loud and smile most of the time. It's so on my 'read-to-get-happy'-pile!

I just adore the adventure, the characters and the humour but I like the message behind all of it the best. Grades are not everything and we really do have to realize that there are events in life which cannot be planned or prepared for. Especially right now, during my exam period, it's important for me to remember that.

I really liked the characters, even though they were a bit stereotypical sometimes. But that didn't stop the enjoyable reading experience!
Vassar's development is huge. Just HUGE. And I love it.
While she was with her parents, she was pretty exhausting but as soon as she's in Asia, she starts to change. She has this funny and hilarious-without-being-stupid kind of way of dealing with problems.
Vassar's thoughts are really ironic and with a lot of humour which I just love.

A lot of the her development is due to Hanks. I laughed so hard at every. One. Of. His. Jokes.
He's fantastic. A Malaysian Cowboy with stuck on sideburns and a reedy voice. I just love him. Total boyfriend material.
The cover is just gorgeous, too. Sadly, I have the German edition which is not that nice but still very funny. It's shows an open suitcase with rows of pink toilet paper in it – haha!

The story starts a little slow but picks up once Vassar arrives in Asia. Just as I said: As soon as she's separated from her parents the book gets better!

The writing style is great and the details are written vivid and captivating. I read Carpe Diem at least three times and every time I couldn't put it down! If that's not convincing then I don't know what is!

And the best of it: A lot of the incidents in the book happened to the author in reality! I really had to laugh when I heard which ones.
I try to not tell you spoilers but for those who have read the book:
Mr. Tee-Tee. The incident where Hank kicks in the door. The big story arc at the end.
I'm still snickering.

All in all, this book is amazing!
If you still have some space on your X-Mas wish list, go for this one!
It's worth its time.


Rating

5 out of 5 stars


Number one is done!
Number two will follow soon -haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment