Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken

Hi there, guys!
I'm back with a new review!

It's been quite a while, hasn't it?

 

Basics

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1368460550l/16150830.jpg
Title: Never Fade
Series: The Darkest Minds, book #2
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Release Date: October 15
th 2013
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
ISBN: 1423157516
Number of Pages: 512
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian
What's special? We get some more of Liam Stewart!


Summary

I can't tell you much without spoilering you but I'll try my best.
Our old team got separated at the end of The Darkest Minds and Ruby's now working for the Children's League. Exactly that organisation Liam ran away from.
She became the Leader of a team, consist of Jude, Vida and Nico. We also get to meet Cole Stewart, Liam's brother!
Then Ruby has to go on a secret mission to retrieve a flashdrive, Liam unknowlingly took with him.
So she goes back to search her old friends.


My Opinion

It helped me to get out of my reading slump. I'm still quite slow but I'm making progress!

Even though the beginning was a bit slow, it became so captivating when Ruby left the League!

Hot damn, it gets intense.

But first things first. One of the most important – maybe the most important – aspects:
the characters.

Alexandra Bracken mangages to write them all really unique with completely different personalities. If you just got a sentence, you would immediately know who's talking.

The characters are not 100% likeable but that's exactely what makes them so real.
Just as I told you in the
Summary section, we get to know some new characters.
There's
Jude. Such a cutie! He's around 14/15 years old and pretty hyperactive. He seems way younger than he actually is.
Then we meet
Vida. She's 17, I think. Really angry, almost aggressive, and extremely loyal to Cate.
I disliked her in the beginning but she's cool now. She's quite a badass.
We also get introduced to the whole League system which is run by Alban. It's extremely multi-layered. Sometimes it was difficult for me to understand whom they help and whom they hate but I (think I) got it now.
In conjunction with introducing the League, we obviously meet some of the members, too.
Most importantly (for me): Cole Stewart, Liam's brother.
It broke my heart, seeing how similar Cole and Liam are. But where Liam's caring and warm-hearted Cole is cynical and quite cold. And scary. I don't have the warmest feelings for him.
But there's another person who fits that description.
Fucking Clancy.
Excuse the language, guys, I normally hardly swear but he makes me lose my calm.
He. Is. Such. An.
Arse.
I won't say any more because I would end up spoilering you pretty bad.

Just as I said in my review on The Darkest Minds, Alexandra is a goddess when it comes to character development. If you compare Ruby from book 1 and Ruby now – oh god.
It's crazy what she's been through and how much her principles have bent.
She changed so much and especially considering her case, 'character development' does not necessarily mean it's
positive.
Ruby uses her power with less guilt and she tends to lose control.
She's now more aggressive than defensive.
She became harder and even more depressed and broken AND I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG SHE WILL ENDURE THIS.
I don't want Alexandra doing a 'Veronica Roth' at the end of In The Afterlight!

We also meet Chubs again. I was so happy seeing a familiar face again, I almost cried.
But when I saw who he became. I gulped. He, too, became harder, harsher in the last six months.
He disguised himself as a Skip Tracer and terribly reckless.
I get that – after the events of The Darkest Minds – he had to change
in some way. But I'm not happy with the way he did.

Just as in book one I had some difficulties readingwise. I don't know why exactly but Alexandra Bracken's writing is confusing for me.
I don't think it's because her
writing itself is confusing, I guess it's because English is not my first language. If I'm reading really carfully or if I'm reading aloud, it's easier. But when it gets action-packed, I can't just slow myself down!
I only know one part where I was confused
because of the writing. The first chapter takes place 6 months after the events of The Darkest Minds, the second chapter right after TDM and the third again after six months. I didn't get that at first, I had to reread these three chapters.
But eventually, I got it.
This paragraph will contain spoilers, so be forewarned!
I love Alexandra's logic considering Liam's memory loss!
At the end of TDM Ruby was focused on erasing all of Liam's memories of her but she forgot
his feelings. I'm not even sure if she's capable of that.
Anyways, Liam was terribly in love with Ruby when they met again but had no evidence
why he was.
And I was just like: God, yes, it all makes sense now.

I loved Ruby's last scene so much! I felt so much adrenaline at that moment.
All I could think was: HA! How do you like that, you asshole?



And my final question: Why the hell are there so many abandoned cars on the interstate?


Rating

4.5-5 out of 5 stars

Stay funky!
Franzi

No comments:

Post a Comment