Sunday, February 8, 2015

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare




Hey there, guys!
How was your weekend?
I'm back with a new review!


Basics

https://tehkelsey.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/cityofbones.jpg
Title: City of Bones
Series: The Mortal Instruments
Author: Cassandra Clare
Release Date: March 27
th 2007
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
ISBN: 1416914285
Number of Pages: 485
Genre: Urban Fantasy, Young Adult
What's special? Nephilim are protecting the mortal world from demons!

Summary

15-year old Clary lives a totally normal life with her artistic mother Jocelyn and her best friend Simon.
But then, one night, she can see things nobody else can.
When Simon and Clary are in a club, she watches three teenagers murder another while everyone around her seems oblivious to it.
Only hours later, her mother is abducted and she's attacked by a demon.
She's sucked into the dangerous but compelling world of the shadowhunters Jace, Isabelle and Alec. And with their help she's determined to save her mother.


My Opinion

Back in September 2014 I've listened to the German audiobook and frankly, I didn't enjoy the book at all. Now, after reading City of Bones in English, I can say: That was due to the terrible reading of the narrator. She gave Clary such a naive and childish voice and spoke without emotion which made the book seem boring and shallow.
I still have some troubles with the first half of the it but I enjoyed the second part way more than while listening to the audiobook!

At the beginning Clary does act and think so naive. I couldn't help myself but roll my eyes at some of her lines.
Some things were just
so damn obvious, I have no idea how she couldn't get them.
I get that she was thrown into this world and had to learn everything and she was pretty confused, but
come on.
But then – finally – in the second half of the book, she has got the knack of it.

And Jace, too, gets a lot funnier once the story takes off.
And especially after watching the movie, I loved all of his one-liners.

I found this
awesome fanart which I just have to show you!

It was drawn by tabeck!
Ugh, it's amazing!


Okay, moving on to my next point.
Honestly, I didn't feel any concern about any of our characters.
They've never seemed real to me, just weren't complex enough.
Sometimes they did something which didn't fit their character or normal behaviour – I noticed this especially with Jace! Their emotions changed so fast, I had some hard time following them!

In general, it was hard to grasp their character or where they stood. Like, who did they hate, who did they like?
Isabelle's behaviour in particular was really confusing for me.
Sometimes she was quite nice, then she was mean again – and does or does she not like Simon??

City of Bones is a nice setup for the whole Shadowhunter-World, and even though we get only a 'glimpse' we got lots of information and I can't wait to read more about this world in the next books!
It seems to be really complex – after all there are over 10 books about it!
As I've already mentioned earlier, I've watched the movie.
And I see why so many fans don't like it but I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would (I don't like the Bane actor, tho).
Even though there are some major differences (It seems like Simon being a rat just wasn't creepy enough for the producers), they used many one-liners from the book!
I would even go so far as to say that the movie made me love the book more!
But for those who didn't love the movie as much as I did, I have good news!
The book will be turned into a TV SHOW! This is going to be


I will continue this series anyway. I've heard that it will get better and like litereally everybody is raving about this series, so I really, really want to love it too!

Rating
3.5
out of 5 stars

Stay funky, guys, stay funky!
Franzi

No comments:

Post a Comment