Saturday, February 28, 2015

Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Hi there, guys!
Writing a review on this book made me want to read the sequel even more!
Thank god, I own it already! I just have to pick it up ;)


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Throne_of_Glass_UK.jpgBasics

Title: Throne of Glass
Series: Throne of Glass series, book #1
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Release Date: January 1
st 2012
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's
ISBN: 1599906953
Number of Pages: 416
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult
What's special? It's about assassins, guys!


Summary

Celaena Sardothien, the world's deadliest assassin, survived 12 mines in the salt mines of Endovier.
Then Prince Dorian offers her a deal: She will have her freedom if she becomes the king's champion and wins against other criminals in a competiotion. After serving the king as a personal assassin, she will be free to go.
Even though she hates the king and his court, she accepts the deal.
While she is at the king's palace, she meets lots of new people. Among them are Captain Chaol Westfall, a foreign princess and a cunning lady.
But suddenly her competitors show up terribly murdered.
Celaena starts to investigate...


My Opinion

Always since I discovered BookTube I wanted to read the Throne of Glass series. I've seen so much wonderful Fanart, I just needed to start it!
And now I did!
To be honest, it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but still worth all of its 4 stars.
It took me quite a while to embrace the characters. Especially, Celaena (but I love her the most now). They changed their moods/feelings really fast and always seemed so 'fake' to me. I had the same problems with the characters from City of Bones but I really hope that will improve in the next Mortal Instruments books.
They characters in ToG lacked some kind of depth in the first chapters. They appeared too shallow for me. Celaena got more layers and I got really curious about her past. Like, who are her parents? Why were they murdered? I have my suspicions but don't you dare spoilering me!
As soon as I started to enjoy the characters more, I quickly fell in love with Chaol and Celaena. Dorian and Nehemia took some more time. I'm really curious how the experiences from Throne of Glass will affect their personalities in Crown of Midnight.
Apropos Dorian: I think there were a lot of Dorian – 'Fanfiction Sirius'. Always really cocky, flirtatious, but still caring. Do you think so, too?

The king's quite passive in ToG – because he's literally never in his palace. There's a competition about who his champion will be and HE IS NOT EVEN PRESENT. Where's the logic?
But the more important question: Where the hell has he been?

I really like the cover art of all of the books. Like, there's a total badass Celaena on the front and on the back we have Celaena's other side. In most of the books about female assassins (at least, those I've read) the heroine despises feminine stuff. But not in ToG. Celaena loves dresses and these parties and everything. So on the back we have her in a dress – but still with her weapons!

I already own Crown of Midnight and it looks amazing. Just as I said I've seen so much wonderful fanart of new characters – I can't wait to read the book! Who is Rowan and why is he so handsome?
Unfortunately, I'm in a little reading slump at the moment. Thanks The Walking Dead!
But I hope I'll finish Never Fade soon and can start Crown of Midnight right away!
Or maybe...I'll put Never Fade back down and read CoM right away!

I'm also really curious about the world. We only get a 'sneak peak' in Throne of Glass – which is logical because there's 'more important' stuff going on.

The only other thing I have a problem with is when Elena appeared for the first time, it felt like Celaena's accepting happens too fast. But that's just how I feel.



Rating

4 out of 5 stars


See you guys soon!
Stay funky!
Franzi

No comments:

Post a Comment