Wednesday, May 27, 2015

The Elite by Kiera Cass

Hi, guys!
I'm back with another review for you!


http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/theselection/images/f/f7/The_Elite_Cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130911044120BASICS

Title: The Elite
Series: The Selection Series, #2
Author: Kiera Cass
Release Date: April 23rd 2013
Publisher: HarperTeen
ISBN: 0062059963
Number of Pages: 336
Genre: Romance, Young Adult


SUMMARY

Only six girls are left to compete for Prince Maxon's heart.
America Singer is one of them.
But when everything seemed settled and perfect, i.e.. Maxon told her he loves her, Aspen, America's ex-boyfriend, appears in the palace. Old feelings stir again and America has to choose.
Does she love Maxon, prince of Illéa, who's willing to give her anything or Aspen, her longtime lover, whom she loved since she was young?


MY OPINION

Okay, let's start this review with a short explanation why I've even read The Elite (after mentioning several times that I'm not fond of The Selection.)
My parents gave me The Elite for Christmas and I don't want them to spend money for me without apprecitating it. So I've read it.
In The Elite we're following the last six girls who are trying to win Maxon's heart.
America is – obviously – one of them. So while America has to decide if she loves Aspen or Maxon, the latter one does everything to convince her he's the one – while dating five other girls.

Don't let anyone tell you otherwise: This book is a romance. Not a dystopian novel.
Almost all of the 336 pages are about America's flirts with either Maxon or Aspen or her being heartbroken because Maxon doesn't give her enough attention.
One word to sum up her actions in The Elite? Frustrating.
Me while reading her back and forth between her two lovers:


She obviously still loves Aspen and whenever Maxon did something 'wrong', she runs to Aspen to get comforted. Which leads to quite some distance between Maxon and America.
He then tries to get to know the other girls better in case America should choose to leave him. And then she gets jealous and we complete our perfect vicious circle.
America, you can't have everything.
If you tell Maxon 'no, I don't want you', you have no right to be upset about him spending more time with other girls.
I'm not saying that everything he did was the best way to do so, but he tried so hard to help America in every way and to make her feel comfortable with her surroundings. He has a right to be happy.
But – as in most YA novels with a love triangle – only the main character's wants are important.
The two love interests have to do her bidding.

I can't say that her not being able to choose was my biggest problem but that she
did choose. Like, twenty times a chapter. Okay, I'm exaggerating but it felt like that while reading.
Litereally, every time she was like It's him! He's the one I love! I'll stick with him! I could only roll my eyes and think Girl, we're only halfway through, you'll probably change your mind over the next four pages.

Moving on to the plot.
Wait, what plot exactly?
I have nothing against character driven stories, not at all. But please, let there be at least some kind of goal (except for the end of the Selection, that's a pretty shallow one.) Let there be other achievements, new developments or suddenly appearing side questes!
If you're trying to argue with the attacks by rebels than you shoot yourself in the foot.
These damn rebel attacks got boring real fast.
How many times did the rebels get beyond the walls in those two books? Five, six times? If that was my palace I would have replaced the guards as soon as possible!
And what use were these attacks anyway?
To give America and Maxon some alone time to make up?

I don't think that political stuff is Cass' strenght.
And don't even get me started on all these ethnic stereotypes!
Those graceful Asians, stuffy Germans and celebratory Italians.

And even though, all our three main characters weren't very likeable, at least they had some good and some bad character traits.
Which is something you can't say about the maids Anne, Mary and Lucy.
I'm still not sure what unique personality Anne and Mary are supposed to have.
I wouldn't have minded if Cass had written them as one person.
And Lucy's only „characteristic“ are her traumatic memories, which are terrible for sure, but it's her only defining trait and that shows some laziness from Cass' side.

If you love The Bachlor or The Bachlorette (or whatever these shows are called), I recommend it to you. The Selection series are those in book form. And the dude's a prince.

Even though I hated almost every single character, I couldn't stop. I just had to read it, even if the only purpose was to be able to complain afterwards.
I won't stop, either. I don't want some finished series on my shelf.
So stay tuned for a review for The One sometime in the future!


RATING

2 out of 5 stars

Stay funky, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment