Friday, September 11, 2015

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor

Hey there, guys!
I'm back from Spain and I worked on a new review.
Have fun!

13618440
BASICS
Title: Dreams of Gods and Monsters
Series: Daughter of Smoke and Bone #3
Author: Laini Taylor
Release Date: April 8th 2014
Publisher: Little, Brown & Company
ISBN: 0316134074
Number of Pages: 613
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance



MY OPINION
“Once upon a time, there was only darkness. And there were monsters vast as worlds who swam in it.”

I've read in several reviews that this conclusion is very satisfying and I can only agree.
Everything I wanted to happen, did happen more or less and I could close the book with a content "aaah".

But don't assume it means that there's a lot of foreshadowing.
There were many moments which kept me on the edge of my seat and I feared for the lives of my favourite characters. I even flung myself on the couch once because I just couldn't deal with the emotions Taylor could arouse. Let me tell you, my dad had five pretty hilarious days. He made fun of me a lot because I was so engaged in the story.

The writing style resembles the gritty and bloody "Days of Blood and Starlight" than the light and simple "Daughter of Smoke and Bone" - which is definitely a good thing.

Again, new characters and POVs are introduced, such as Eliza. A girl from the human world with strange nightmares and a mysterious connection to the seraphim.
And Scarab, the queen of the Stelians. She appeared at the end of Days of Blood and Starlight, but she only becomes a complex and acting character in DoGaM.


But with new good characters, there come new baddies.
We all knew Jael was a sick bastard since the torture scene in Days of Blood and Starlight, but he was just one of many evil seraphim. In Dreams of Gods and Monsters he works his way up the ladder and turns into the main antagonist.

Well, apart from the monsters but you can hardly count them as a "character".
Due to Eliza and Scarab we get to know about the failings of several seraphim, thousands of years ago. Those failings include setting free a big number of unstoppable monsters in another dimension(I think it was dimension).
It's an enormous and complicated past and I have to give my kudos to Taylor for creating this big backstory - and explaining it in an understandable way.




Furthermore, I really enjoyed exploring the Stelians! I guess, society now would call them barbaric and they are in fact very frightening. I didn't really come to terms with Scarab and her court, to be honest.

At the end of this review, I have to mention Ziri again. If you have read my older posts, you probably have noticed that I really, really, really like Ziri. He's my favourite. By far.
This was me during Days of Blood and Starlight and Dreams of Gods and Monsters:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/62d51ddf039a6fd15131a5a7f11e63b2/tumblr_msz6nxHh0j1sn7sx2o1_500.png




Favourite Quotes:
“We haven't been introduced. Not really.”

“Hot, perpetually pissed-off angel seeks living pincushion for scowl practice and general stabbiness. No kissing.”

“Wasn't that what religions did? Squint at one another and declare, 'My unprovable belief is better than your unprovable belief. Suck it.”


RATING
5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment