Monday, August 3, 2015

July Book Haul and Wrap-Up!


Hi there, guys!
Today I'll show you what I read during July (not that much) and which books I aquired (not many).
Have fun!


WRAP UP


A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness (Conception: Siobhan Dowd)

8621462The first book I read in July!
I found the German version of it in my local drugstore and just had to pick it up!
This story is all about loss and letting go. Conor's mom is sick. Really sick.
And since his mother started chemo, he has had terrible nightmares every night.
But one night, a ancient monster calls for him and demands one thing only.
The truth.

Really good! I have to admit I cried at the end.

4 out of 5 stars




The Curiosities: A collection of stories by Maggie Stiefvater, Tessa Gratton and Brenna Yovanoff
13574710As soon as this book arrived in the mail I just had to read it!
Especially because I kinda was in a reading slump and needed something short. What's better for that than a collection of short stories?

I adore Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Cycle (and her tumblr). She is definitely one of my favourite authors.
I've never heard of Tessa or Brenna before but after reading The Curiosities I have to check them out!

These short stories came with a little twist. The three authors took notes on the margins and drew some little caricatures and just in general told you about their writing process.
Really helpful if you're an aspiring author!

4 out of 5 stars!
Blood Red Road by Moira Young
9917938Back when this book just came out, my mother gave me an extract she found in a bookstore. For some weird reason I was not interested. Why, younger Franzi, why?!
This book contains so much you love!

Ruthless female protagonist. Sign me up.
An ass-kicking girl gang named The Free Hawks? Check.
Cage fighting? Hell yeah!

Well, in the end you're always wiser. I really enjoyed this book!
The heroine of this book is called Saba and she lives with her two siblings and her father in Silverlake, in the middle of a big-ass desert.
One day, out of nowhere, a huge sand storm and four horseman appear and then men abduct Saba's twin brother Lugh out of the blue.
But she is determined to get him back.

4 out of 5 stars!


Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman
https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1299076175l/2986865.jpgEon takes place in a country which is very similar to the imperial China and/or Japan. And there dragons.
Which, together, makes an awesome premise.

I won't go into much detail because I've already written a review of it!
Check it out right here!

4 out of 5 stars!










Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
11178225Yes. Just yes.
This was so good. I mean, I had big hopes already but it was even better than I imagined it to be.

Out of the Easy takes place in New Orleans in the 1950s. (That alone sold me.)
Josie's mom is probably the worst of them all. She's a pretty ruthless prostitute who either ignores Josie or wants her to do something.
All Josie wants is to get out of not only French Quater or New Orleans but Louisiana in general. She wants to go to college and leave her mother and her lower class past behind.
But then a murder occurs which somehow involves the mafia and Josie's mom and things get chaotic.
I'm working on a review, so stay tuned!

5 out of 5 stars!
BOOK HAULI only got two book in July because I'm saving for my vacation in Spain later this month!

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

I already mentioned it, no need to do it again.
SO GOOD.

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
18143977I'm currently reading this book. I think I'm around 400 pages in. It's quite difficult to read a) because it deals with a very tragic and heavy theme and b) because Doerr uses really elaborate words and formulations in general, which makes reading it very slow for me.

All The Light We Cannot See connects the story of 16-year old, blind Marie-Laure and 18-year old Werner.
Well, that's at least what it says on the back.
I thought they'd meet relatively early in the book but they. Still. Have. Not. Met.
That's kinda annyoing but it made me really looking forward to them meeting.







What books did you read/buy over the last 30 days?
Tell me in the comments below!

Franzi

No comments:

Post a Comment