Friday, August 14, 2015

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Hi, guys!
What's up?


BASICS
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339784547l/11178225.jpgTitle: Out of the Easy
Author: Ruta Sepetys
Release Date: February 12th 2013
Publisher: Philomel Books
ISBN: 039925692X
Number of Pages: 346
Genre: Historical Fiction, Young Adult, Mystery

MY OPINION 

“Sometimes we set off down a road thinkin' we're goin' one place and we end up another. But that's okay. The important thing is to start.”


What a great book.
At the moment I'm really getting into Historical Fiction and this book definitely made me want more.

The mother of our protagonist Josie is a prostitute in 1950s New Orleans.
Consequently, Josie grew up surrounded by other prostitutes and the Madam of the brothel, Willy.
But instead of "following into her mother's footsteps" like everybody thinks she will sooner or later, she dreams of going to college and leaving Louisiana altogether. But she always gets pulled back by her mother and her ties to the brothel.
Until suddenly there's a mysterious death in the Quarter and she is determined to solve it.

Oh, how much I loved love this book.
The story of Out of the Easy centers around the few major characters and slowly builds a plot around it. I really liked that you could only guess how the story will develop.

All of the characters are complex and interesting - you'll love them and you'll hate them!
It goes from self-centered Evangeline over mute Sadie (I could be wrong with the name) to badass Willy.
While it's a common picture to portray prostitutes as tragic and doomed characters (think of Fantine from Les Mis), Sepetys managed to take a very interesting look into the lives of prostitutes and showed them as strong and empowered women. She makes them look like human beings, not one-sided cardboard cutouts.
That's something that really made me love this book.

I also loved reading the conversations between Josie and Cokie, he's adorable.
And oh, I adored Jesse. At the beginning I was a bit wary of him and I really didn't expect to love him as much as I did!

This book was so addicting, I really couldn't put it down! And one morning, when I had to leave for school (I was late already), I was exactly at that one scene in which Jesse visits Josie in her "hiding place". Too. Cruel.
Sepetys did her research very well!
She described Josie's world wonderfully and managed to make me picture the French Quarter easily!


I'll definitely check out Ruta Sepetys other book "Between Shades of Grey". But, I guess, it'll be very different from Out of the Easy - it's about WWII.


Here are some pictures of ~1950s New Orleans/The French Quarter!
Vintage New Orleans - vintagenola: Royal Street - French Quarter 1960s

C. 1950s, Louisiana, New Orleans, The French Quarter.

http://cruiselinehistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/nomg112.jpg

http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lojugzoRjd1qhalefo1_1280.jpg


Vintage 1950s - Pere Antoine's Ice Cream Parlor, French Quarter, New Orleans


My favourite quotes:
“I leapt eagerly into books. The characters’ lives were so much more interesting than the lonely heartbeat of my own.”

“The only reason I’d lift my skirt is to pull out my pistol and plug you in the head.”

“You like me, Josie Moraine. You just don't know it yet.”
RATING
5 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment