Monday, June 8, 2015

May Book Haul and Wrap-Up!

Hi, guys!
Today I'm back with my May book haul and Wrap-Up!
I've read 13 books this month but let's start with those I bought:

I've purchased a total of six books this month (even though, I actually wanted to buy no books at all because in June's my birthday which means MORE BOOKS!)

Here are the books:
http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1398368877l/20613470.jpg
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas
It's the third book in the Throne of Glass series
   - more about it in my Wrap-Up
                                         
https://bookloverslaceycat.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/transcendence-by-shay-savage.png
Transcendence by Shay Savage
This book has a really cool concept: It's from the POV of a caveman who is not able to talk or understand any language.
A girl from the future (or present) travels accidently back in time and meets him but obviously he's not able to communicate with her and they have to communicate with each other with gestures.



http://thebooksmugglers.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/final-empire.jpg
The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
First book in the series everybody on BookTube is currently raving about!
A thousand years ago a dark lord came to the land and has ruled ever since.
But now a 'troublemaker' has arrived and there are rumours of revolt.
That revolt depends on a criminal and a young girl who must master the magic that lies in metal.
I can't wait so start this series!




http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51fltwCiZkL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
This beautiful edition of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

(it's my third)
Do I really have to say anything about it's content?
MR. DAAARCY



http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61BcvUoJGML._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
It was the booksplosion book of the month for May!
I actually didn't plan to pick it up but as I've told in my post on my internship at my local bookstore,
I found a sample copy in one of the shelves and was allowed to take it home with me.
It was so good, I just had to buy it for myself.



http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/A_Monster_Calls.jpg
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness

Original Idea: Siobhan Dowd
I found the German copy of this one in the scratch & dent section at my local drugstore.
I didn't recognise it as 'a monster calls' (which I wanted to read for ages) but I am SO glad I picked it up anyway!
It isn't even that damaged!


Those are the books I've bought!
I've already read a few of them - so let's get down to my wrap-up.
My primary goal this month was to diminish my TBR pile - and I did quite a good job!
Seven out of my 13 books were longer than two months on my shelves.
Those are:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ac/SpiritBound_Novel.jpg/225px-SpiritBound_Novel.jpg
Spirit Bound by Richelle Mead
It's the fifth book in the Vampire Academy series
I had this on my shelf for about 4 months and finally came around to read it!
Sadly, I was quite disappointed. I only gave it 2.5 stars out of 5.
                        I cringed literally every time Rose was talking and really couldn't recognize the Rose I came to love in her.
   I felt so much pity for Adrian but more about my thoughts in my review (which will hopefully come soon).


http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/theselection/images/f/f7/The_Elite_Cover.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130911044120
The Elite by Kiera Cass
It's the second book in the Selection trilogy!
It laid on my shelf since Christmas.
I gave it 2 stars out of 5
It was okay - I guess.
You can check out my review here!





http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/b/b5/Libbabraybeauty.jpg/220px-Libbabraybeauty.jpg
A Great And Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

It's the first book in the Gemma Doyle trilogy!
          This one was so long on my shelf, I honestely can't remember when I'd bought it!
              When I first read the summary, it remembered me quite a lot of Mean Girls. Just in the Victorian Era
Our heroine is Gemma Doyle who lived all of her life in India.
       After her mother's death, she moves to England to attend a bording school where she befriends with
those typical 'popular girls'. Of course, we also have some fantasy/mysterious elements.
Gemma is haunted by visions and a (very attractive) young Indian man who warns her to give in to those visions.
Together with her friends she manages to travel to some kind of otherworldy realms were they can taste the power they'll never have as Victorian wives.
I really loved that - even though this book took part in the really staid Victorian era - those girls would fit into 21st century, too. They talked about their sexualty, made jokes about it, which is something I didn't expect!
But it took me quite some times to get into this book,
so I ended up with giving it 3.5 stars out of 5.
But I'll continue with this trilogy tho!



http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1386955513l/18406862.jpg
Sinner by Maggie Stiefvater

This book is some kind of spin-off from the Wolves of Mercy Fall trilogy!
It was released in July 2014 I believe but I only picked it up in March at the Buchmesse in Leipzig!
It was great to be with Isabel and Cole again! I loved those two in the actual trilogy and came to love them even more after finishing Sinner!
I love Isabel.
4 stars out of 5
              

http://www.penguin.com.au/covers/catalog/9780141439808.jpg
Mansfield Park by Jane Austen

MP was on my shelf for about two months. I picked up a Jane Auten boxset right after the Buchmesse!
It was okay.
I really didn't like the lovestory between Edmund and Fanny.
It seemed to forced and the ending was wrapped up so fast.
I gave it 3.5 stars out of five.



https://prescriptionreading.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/persuasion1.jpg
Persuasion by Jane Austen

God, this cover is horrible.
But it's not about the looks right?
I totally enjoyed Persuasion!
It wasn't quite as good as Pride and Prejudice (but which classic is?)
I LOVED Wentworth (and his letter writing skills)
Anne was a wonderful main character. Really mature, really gentle.
5 stars out of 5



http://img2.imagesbn.com/p/9780618968633_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG
The Hobbit by J.R.R.Tolkien
This little bad boy was on my shelf for - believe it or not - 13 months.
I've started it multiple times but always stopped after roughly 70 pages.
But I - FINALLY - finished it.
This sums up all my feelings: It felt like coming home.
4 stars out of 5

Those were all the books I've had on my shelves for a few months.

Here are the books I've got from my local bookstore to read for free:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91cMHG1mVaL.jpg
We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
I really enjoyed the mystery but was quite disappointed when the secret was revealed.
It was a bit too fantastical for me.
This book's about Cadence and her family: the Sinclairs. Everything is perfect in their lives.
There are no addictions. No criminals. No dents and edges.
They have their own island were the whole family - Grandmother, Grandfather and three sisters with their kids - spend every summer.
In Summer 15 Cadence had a terrible accident which left her with even worse headaches and only a handful of memories of those months.
Two years later she's back to unravel what happened to her.
I gave it 3.5 stars out of 5 because it was really gripping


http://mtv.mtvnimages.com/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:mtv.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/9781595148032_AnEmberintheAshes_CV-1421421976.jpg?quality=0.85
An Ember in the Ashes by Saaa Tahir

It was announced that there'll be a sequel in 2016!
This book was so gripping - it took me not even a day to finish it!
I loved the main characters, Laia and Elias.
Laia wasn't your typical badass heroine (even though, I love them a lot too). She's shy, insecure and really fucking scared.
Elias on the other side is a killing machine who isn't supposed to have any feelings at all.
After the murder of her grandparents and the abduction of her brother, Laia makes a pact with the rebel organisation.
They will get her brother out of prison if Laia disguises herself as a slave and spies on the cruel Commander (who is Elias mother).
Elias is one of the best - if not THE best - students of Blackcliff, a school for soldiers. But Elias wants nothing more than to run away from this ruthless society.
If you love stories about the old Romans, this'll be a good book for you!
5 stars out of 5


http://cover.allsize.lovelybooks.de.s3.amazonaws.com/12-things-to-do-before-you-crash-and-burn-9783836957564_xl.jpg
10 Things to do before you Crash and Burn by James Proimos

I really didn't like this one.
It's based on the myth of Hercules and his 12 tasks but it's like, the 21st version.
It felt kind of shallow or maybe I'm just too dumb to see the deeper meaning of it.
1 star out of 5



And lastly, all the books that don't fit in one of those two categories!

https://bookloverslaceycat.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/transcendence-by-shay-savage.png
Transcendence by Shay Savage

It was okay, but sometimes the focus was a little to much on the sex in my opinion.
Like, one time there was one big sex scene which covered about three chapters.
I need some more action and adventure!
3.5 stars out of 5


http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1398366292l/17378508.jpg
Blue Lily, Lily Blue by Maggie Stiefvater

It's the third book in the Raven Cycle!
Look at that cover, it's so pretty!
Awesome book! Favourite so far!
God, I almost melted at every Blue x Gansey scene.
I loved all the characters.
A review will follow (hopefully) soon!
5 stars out of 5


http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/sjmaas/709898/72897/72897_original.jpg
Heir of Fire by Sarah J. Maas

Third book in the Throne of Glass series!
Thank god, this series will have six books in total!
This was definitely my favourite so far!
I loved the new side of Celaena's character and this BIG development in her character!
I adored Ronan (my bae) and Manon and Aedion - JUST ALL THE NEW CHARACTERS
God, I'm gushing again.
Just read this series.
I'm already working on a review, so stay tuned!
5 stars out of 5


What books did you read in May? Tell me in the comments!
Stay funky!
Franzi

PS: If anyone has any idea how to get rid of these weird lighter boxes around the texts, please tell
      me!

No comments:

Post a Comment