Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Hi, guys!

BASICS
6043848
Title: The Knife of Never Letting Go
Series: Chaos Walking #1
Author: Patrick Ness
Release Date: October 22nd 2008
Publisher: Walker
ISBN: 1406320757
Number of Pages: 479
Genre: Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Young Adult

MY OPINION

“But a knife ain't just a thing, is it? It's a choice, it's something you do. A knife says yes or no, cut or not, die or don't. A knife takes a decision out of your hand and puts it in the world and it never goes back again. ”

I went into this book thinking it was written for Middle Grade but holy shit, this book made me feel things I didn't want to feel.
The knife on the cover is really fitting - this book will stab you in the heart and turn the blade around and around.

The story revolves around two strong and complex characters, Todd and Viola. And even though the reader won't like every decision they make, they will be rooting for them nonetheless.
Writing likeable characters isn't Ness' goal, as far as I see, it's writing characters that feel real. Characters that have flaws and are allowed to make wrong turns.
I have to admit, sometimes I yelled in frustration because Todd was annoyingly stubborn again.
He is the last boy in Prentisstown and is going to turn 13 (and become a man) in only a month's time. But there's something special about his home: there are only men (and one boy) and they all can hear each other's thoughts. There's no escape.
One day, when Todd is wandering outside his town, he finds a girl. (It should be noted that it's the first time he ever sees one in real life.) What's even more strange is that he can't hear the girl's thoughts.
But there are no lies and no secrets in Prentisstown and soon Todd and Viola have to run for their lives.

Then there's Manchee. Oh my god, I love him so much. The endless love and devotion he showed Todd throughout this book got me teary eyed.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/94/e4/7f/94e47fc5d23d18ecace771f9929ccc07.jpg https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/80/55/6d/80556de1a36a2f16c4f6089867367744.jpg


The before mentioned realness of the two main characters encompasses the antagonists of the story, too. Oh boy, are they twisted.
The villains, we get introduced to, are monstrous and sick. I didn't even want to try to picture Aaron - ugh. So disgusting. But so terrifying, too. I literally stopped breathing while reading their face-offs.

Moving on to the story in general!
It's a compelling story (I coulnd't put the book down) and wonderfully executed but what really was like the cherry on top was Ness' writing style.
I felt like I experienced the story from the mind of a 12-year-old. Todd acted - in many ways - just like a boy who just hit puberty did. He's stubborn, wants to be right all of the time, 80% of his brain capacity is used on "becoming a man".
But what I'm getting at is that it never felt like an adult is speaking through a kid's mouth. Todd (or Viola for the record) has never said anything that appeared too mature or "grown-up".
As far as I can remember, I only felt like that was the case while reading John Green's books (sorry, John.).

I really can't wait util I get my hands on book two in the trilogy "The Ask and the Answer" because what. A. Cliffhanger.
http://i2.wp.com/paperfury.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/41dadeedb2acb8f30001d2dc158f002e-1.gif

My favourite quotes: 

“We are the choices we make.”

"The army your girl's been talking about has been spotted marching down the river road," Doctor Snow says. "One of our scouts just reported them as less than an hour away."
"She ain't my girl," I say, low.
"She's her own girl," I say. "She don't belong to anyone."

RATING

5
out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment