Saturday, January 10, 2015

'The Darkest Minds' by Alexandra Bracken



Hey there, guys! What's up?
I'm back with a new review.
The Darkest Minds is really one hell of a book.
I cried, I laughed, I giggled.
Enjoy!

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1343178841l/10576365.jpgBasics

Title: The Darkest Minds
Series: The Darkest Minds Series
Authors: Alexandra Bracken
Release Date: December 18
th 2012
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
ISBN: 1423157370
Number of Pages: 488
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Sci-Fi
What's special? Children with superpowers? Uh, YES PLEASE!


Summary

About five years have passed since the disease called IAAN broke out.
But it only affects children and nobody knows why.
The children either die - which is more likely - or they survive with supernatural powers.
The government is not afraid of the kids dying but of the surviving ones. Because they cannot control them.
So they force them into labour camps and sort them into different colour-named groups.
There are
Greens who have a photographic memory, Blues who can move objects with only their willpower, Yellows who control electricity, Oranges who can mess with your mind and Reds who control fire.
Our heroine is called Ruby. She was carried off into a especially cruel labour camp when she was 10. Six years have passed and her biggest secret is about to be revealed.
In the camp she's a harmless Green. But in reality she's an Orange and even more dangerous: she cannot control her power.
One night she is able to escape the horror of Camp Thurmond and meets three other runaways, Liam, Suzume and Chubs. Together they want to find the 'Slip Kid' - a infamous boy who escaped the camp four times and can help other fugitives to contact their family.


My Opinion

Bow to Alexandra Bracken, the Queen of Character Development!
Ruby and especially Chubs development in this book is huge.
Our main character starts of as an introverted, very quiet girl who is afraid of her power.
But she grows into a strong and witty heroine. At times she's still naive but I forgive her .

Then there's Chubs. At the beginning he's a bit of an asshole. He tries everything to get rid of Ruby, he makes it clear that he doesn't trust her even a tiny little bit but then he starts growing into one of Ruby's closest friends. He starts to open up to Ruby and they joke around and I just love them together!
But not only these two, Suzume and Liam, too, are just such loveable and realistic characters. I care for each and every one of them. I had tears in my eyes when Suzume was gone and the end – oh boy, the end – I had my heart broken by a book. I desperately need book two!
The next months will be full of buying sequels!
World After, Never Fade, In The Afterlight, Crown of Midnight, Heir of Fire, Invaded, This Shattered World, Saga Volume III and IV...and don't forget all the novellas! The Night So Dark,
In Time, Sparks Rise, The Assassin And The Pirate Lord, The Assasin And The Healer, The Assassin And The Desert, The Assassin And The Empire, I could go on for hours.
But let's get back to the actual review!
All these feelings would not have been possible if it were not for Alexandra Bracken's writing.
It's great, even though I struggled a little bit at the beginning but mostly because there were a lot of unfamiliar words.

There's only one thing I'm not 100% sure about.
How does Ruby's power work? At the beginning it's like she can't touch anybody without activating her powers (kind of like in Shatter Me – just less deadly) but then she often touches Liam and nothing happens. But then again he touches her and she loses control. I just don't grasp it completely. Maybe one of you can explain it to me?

One last thing: I've read so many reviews how people love Clancy but I – I just can't. He's just one hell of an asshole. Please, tell me I'm not the only one thinking it! Or have I missed something just absolutely marvellous about him?



Rating

4.5 out of 5 stars!

What am I supposed to do now? *wail*
I'm not 'allowed' to buy new books for a few weeks because I got so many for Christmas.
(But I already ordered Fairest - muhahaha. And I have to get the book we're reading in my local book club, so two books for Franzi this month!)

Have you read the book already? Tell me your thoughts in the comments!

I'll be right back with another review, so see you in a bit!
Franzi

No comments:

Post a Comment