Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead

Hey, guys! I'm back with an early review for you today!
The reason? I just (yesterday) finished the book and watched the movie today and I just HAD to write my feelings down and share them with you.
What do you think about the book/the series/the movie?
Tell me in the comments!

http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2013/04/Vampire-Academy-Book-Cover.jpg

Basics

Title: Vampire Academy
Series: first book in the Vampire Academy series

Author: Richelle Mead
Release Date: August 16th 2007
Publisher: Razorbill
ISBN-13: 978-1595141743
Number of Pages: 332
Genre: Paranormal, Young Adult
What's special? Vampires! Attending Boarding Schools!


Summary

Rose Hathaway is a Dhampir, half human, half vampire. They are known for their extraordinary strength and stamina.
Then there are the Moroi - the 'full-blood vampires'. They need their daily dose of human blood, sun is unpleasant for them(even though it's not burning them!) and they have a bound to the elements.
But, unfortunately, they are not very strong. So they need the Dhampirs as Guardians to protect them against the Strigoi. Strigoi are not born – they are turned. So they could have been Moroi, Dhampir or even human before. Strigoi are a lot more powerful but can't bear the sun, are immortal and evil in general, so they are the 'original' vampires like we know them from all those old horror movies.
Okay, that's more or less the setting.
Rose and Lissa, a Moroi princess, have been living in the Vampire Academy since they were kids. When they were about 15 years old, they ran away and hid in the human world.
Now, two years later, they are captured and taken back to their school and to the threats that are awaiting them there.


My Opinion

Oh my God. My feels. My poor fangirl-feels.
Okay, first things first.
I never would have guessed that I would like this book.
If I had seen this book in the mall, I probably wouldn't have picked it up. I know it's bad to judge a book by its cover but I can't help it.
But even if the cover would have been less 'strange-girl-in-the-right-corner', I wasn't that captivated by the premise.
But TGTIBT(Thank God there is BookTube). I've heard amazing things about not only this book but the whole series in general and decided to pick it up.
I also read in other reviews that this book is more about building the world than action-packed fighting scenes and therefore it's pretty slow.
I didn't think so. Well, of course I noticed that not
that much was happening in the first 250 pages but I still enjoyed reading it. All these teenage conspiracies were a lot of fun to read. And the animals were pretty creepy! You have to admit that!
Then there's Rose. At first, I was a bit taken by surprise by her attitude. It's just I haven't read that many books with a main character who is so strong-willed, so spunky and not afraid of expressing her sexuality. For a young adult novel it's quite sexy!
Rose Hathaway already holds a very special place in my heart. She is that type of main character I enjoy reading about. Witty, confident, loyal. I'm a sucker for badass heroines (pun absolutely intended).
I love to read her sassy comments and I just love her thoughts.
I laughed so loud while reading this line:
The only thing better than imagining Dimitri carrying me in his arms was imagining him shirtless while carrying me in his arms.”
It just so
true.
But to be honest, I love Christian more than Dimitri. At the moment, at least.
Especially after watching the movie. Thank you, casting directors, for choosing Dominic Sherwood as Christian Ozera.

Dat jaw, yo.
I just finished the movie and I really have to praise the casting directors. They actors all looked  similar to how I pictured the characters/how they are described. Especially, Zoey Deutch(Rose) played her role well! Here, too, I enjoyed all of her saracstic comebacks.
And even though, the directors changed some bits here and there(coughkirovacough), they sticked close to the original plot line! They even kept Lissa's hairflip!

But as much as I loved Rose, I wasn't that fond of her relationship to Dimitri.
I just couldn't get
why exactly they love each other.
Especially, why Dimitri loves Rose. At the end of the book, I kind of got closer to an answer, but I would have liked some hints earlier though. But I still have 5 books to understand their relationship - and I think I will. =)

And then: That Ending. I never would have guessed THAT, to be honest. It was a real shocker for me. But I loved Rose's loyality to Lissa. That's some true friendship!

Rating

5 out of 5 stars and a spot on my favourites-shelf!
I can't wait to get my hands on the next books in the series!
I need more of Christan Ozera in my life.


See you next Saturday, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment